The Biennial is organized since 1997. In 2019 the 12th edition of Kaunas Biennial will take place through 7th June– 29th Septemberin public spaces and at the Kaunas Picture Gallery.
Organizer: NGO Kaunas Biennial
Director: Kotryna Žemaitytė
Board members: prof. Laima Oržekauskienė (Chief), prof. Rasa Andriušytė-Žukienė, dr. Virginija Vitkienė, assoc.prof.Monika Žaltauskaitė-Grašienė, Ana Čižauskienė.
We seek to make Kaunas Biennial the significant event for contemporary art in Kaunas, Lithuania and Europe, which reflects analytically the art processes currently taking place all over the world, by bringing up the priorities of creative collaboration and openness in the processes of art creation and its perception.
Kaunas Biennial is a platform and a real opportunity for
– artists’ debates and the realisation of innovative ideas,
– collaboration among artists and visitors,
– the enhancement of the sense of community through creative activities,
– interdisciplinary artistic and academic practices,
– international and intercontinental partnerships and
– the creation of a discursive culture.
Every event of the biennial is created from scratch, i.e. by changing the structure, the conditions of participation, the character of exhibitions, the conception, also by involving [new] partners, curators, artists and people working in different areas of culture for a common purpose: communication through the expression of art and creative processes.
The Purposes of the Kaunas Biennial:
– To encourage the dynamics of contemporary art in Kaunas, its region and on the international level by organising international, group and personal exhibitions in Lithuania and abroad, publishing art reviews, publications, and catalogues;
– Through educational programmes and collaboration projects to create a discursive environment and ensure maximum access to culture for various age and interest groups in Kaunas.